Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Season for Everything

Every morning before I go to work, or while I'm still waiting for my students to arrive, I would read this daily devotional from YouVersion. It features a bible verse and some insights about it from a certain author. The one I'm subscribed to is by Joyce Meyer. You're supposed to read it for a year, or depending on the length of the reading plan you choose. I use both the mobile and web version.


One of the readings that struck a chord with me was the one about seedtime and harvest. I'm no gardener and I didn't inherit my mom's green thumb. I once attempted to plant sunflowers during monsoon season. Haha. But it doesn't take a genius to know the process of growing plants. You plant a seed, you wait, you nurture it, wait some more, then at the perfect time you harvest the fruit, or vegetable, or flower. 

Jay and I have always wanted a baby. When we got married, at least on my part, I wanted to have a baby right way. Two years later, we're still waiting for the answer to our prayers. And I've struggled with bad feelings associated with not getting what I want while people around me are falling pregnant left and right. 

Then last week I came across this verse in my devotional:
Ecclesiastes 3:1- "For everything there is a season, a time for everything under heaven."

It's safe to say that I'm in a season of waiting. That is somewhere between seedtime and harvest where the roots shoot down. And this process takes time. Joyce Meyer said that above the ground we can't tell anything is happening. But underground the roots are digging deep so the plant will grow strong. On the outside all I can see is a bulging belly of fats but all kinds of things are taking place inside of me where I can't see.  My attitude is being changed. My patience is being tried out. My faith is being made stronger. And my obedience is being developed.

I used to be jealous of people who seem to have it all, and of those whose prayers are answered with a "yes" the moment they say "amen". It's still a struggle, but this verse changed my perspective. Everybody goes through seedtime and harvest. We shouldn't be discouraged when we see others enjoying their harvest while we're still waiting for that tiny seedling to shoot up. We just need to continue trusting God, knowing that He'll bring us into our own harvest at the right time. 

Meanwhile, let's get those bayongs ready. :) 



YouVersion is available to download for free for both iOS and Android devices. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment